For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, what is unseen is eternal.
    ~2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe (GLUTEN-FREE)

STRAWBERRY PRETZEL SALAD



Everything is better with butter . . . except watermelon. My mind can't wrap around the thought of the two together. Or watermelon and bacon.

I did see chocolate candy with bacon pieces at Whole Foods. No, I didn't buy it because I didn't want to waste the money. Do you really think chocolate and bacon are going to taste good together? Can you see now why I didn't want to waste my money.

Alas, I occasionally wish I had splurged.

I want to be more of risk-taker with trying different and unusual combination foods.

Which brings me to Alta Barker's recipe for Strawberry Pretzel Salad.

My mother taught me that when you're at someone's house you eat whatever food is served even if you don't like it. Well, we were at someone else's house where this was served. Salty pretzels with Jello and strawberries? I don't know.

Try it, try it and see.

Preheat oven to 400*.

2 cups crushed GLUTINO pretzels*
2 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted

Mix pretzels, sugar, and butter. Spread in a 9x13 pan (pat down) and bake for 7 minutes. Allow to cool. Feel free to turn your oven off at this point if you aren't baking something else.

 *If you don't have an allergy or sensitivity to gluten, you can use regular pretzels. However, numerous people have tasted the Glutino pretzels and commented they taste better than regular pretzels. I agree.

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1 (8 oz) carton whipped topping
1 cup powdered sugar

Blend cream cheese, whipped topping, and powdered sugar. Spread on crust.

1 (6 oz) box strawberry Jello
1 (10-16 oz) package  frozen strawberries
1 small can crushed pineapple

Mix Jello according to directions. Place in refrigerator to congel. Before it sets (when it's the consistency of slime, isn't that appetizing?), fold in the thawed strawberries and drained pineapple. Pour this mixture over the cream cheese mixture. Chill.


If you have a larger container of whipped topping, you could add a dollop to the top of each serving. Or not. :-)

1 comment: