For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, what is unseen is eternal.
    ~2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Monday, December 1, 2014

How to Love Unlovable and Unlikable People (Part 1)

I went to a ladies' fellowship at church recently where the speaker shared about love. Apparently Christians are supposed to "just do it." 

You know, LOVE OTHERS. 

While I agreed with the gist of the talk, too many times I wanted to stand up and say, "Loving others is far harder than just doing it." Seriously.

If that weren't case, then why is hypocrisy the #1 thing Christians are known for instead of love? 

When I was in 8th grade, my Sunday School teacher came back from a conference where she learned about different spiritual gifts. She proceeded to tell us ours based on what she saw in our lives. I looked at her quite unimpressed and said, "Hey , if God wants me to know what my spiritual gift is, He'll tell me not you." She smiled to appease me I'm sure.

Needless to say, I didn't care for the spiritual gift I'd been designated as to having. What the world needs now is love, sweet love, so I decided love (the gift of compassion) was the best one to have. After all, didn't Paul of Tarsas write: 


"What if I speak in the most elegant languages of people or in the exotic languages of the heavenly messengers, but I live without love? Well then, anything I say is like the clanging of brass or crashing cymbal." (The Voice)

In my childish determination to obtain the spiritual gift of compassion (love), I took spiritual gift analysis test after test. Got the same what-I-thought-was boring gift every time. 

Being one not easily dismayed, I decided to rig the test to get the desired results so I could say, "Look at that score, baby! I'm a lover not a fighter." Only problem is I couldn't even rig the gift into prominence. Why? Because . . . 

Loving others, truly loving them, is far harder than rigging a test. 

Do you have someone in your life whom you struggle to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment