For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, what is unseen is eternal.
    ~2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Monday, September 8, 2014

Struggling with Internal Editor

I once went on a three-year-stint without reading a single fiction novel because I couldn't stop evaluating what I disliked.

Not too long ago, I read two Joy Fielding novels. I could not stop reading Charley's Web long enough to make  dinner on time. The family wasn't happy they had to wait to eat until I finished the book. Not sure why they didn't figure out they could fix their own food, but that's a post for another day.

As soon as I had a chance, I drove to the library and checked out Fielding's book, Heartstopper. I sooo did not want the killer to be who the killer was even though I knew the killer probably was who I thought the killer was.

I'm the type of gal to eat dessert before the main course (don't blame me, blame the hostess who put the dessert next to my water glass).

So when I read a book that makes me forget I'm a writer . . . ooo la la.


Life's too short to live in validation through self-perfectionism and the need to keep up that image in front of others. I think the reason I've struggled in my internal editor in the past is because part of me didn't want to enjoy the book. Part of me wanted to find flaws because in doing so I felt . . . well, smarter than that published author.

I won't deny a badly written book is always going to be a badly written book. But a good majority of published novels just aren't badly written books. If you want to find something wrong with ________, you'll find it because you're looking hard enough to.

Enjoyment is often a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment